Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Surviving

Photo by Thom Rouse: Hat by Felt Happiness

I believe I have said it before, unless you have another income, ( like from a spouse or parent) it is almost impossible to support yourself solely as a model.  Some folks expand into promo modeling, or art modeling ( as I have done) but still,it's very hard.  Most models have at the very least part time jobs ( and the bulk, full time)  as waitresses, or retail clerks, admin assistants, dental hygienists....you name it, somebody is doing it,I am sure.

Why do I bring this up?

Two reasons.

One: Face the facts...you are not going to become rich and famous ( well maybe, a little  famous) but not very rich doing this.....unless you are the 1 tenth of 1 percent, that becomes the next runway , print and merchandising darling- it won't happen.  There are MILLIONS of beautiful people trying to "make it big" and most will not...that is just the odds out there.

Two: After 3 years of trying to make a go solely from the modeling, I just can't anymore....I have debts to pay, I have a kid going into high school,I have home repairs and frankly, things I would like to do....that takes more money than I am making.  Don't get me wrong... I LOVE what I do, but I am going to have to fit it around a closer to full time gig.

I have two interviews set up in the next two weeks...both retail...which allows a flexible schedule, so I can schedule around kid,husband, other gigs....but I won't be able to take last minute things anymore....unless I happen to have that day off...my schedule will become much more unbending.

Hopefully, it will only be for a couple years,and I can get back to doing what I love solely.... but something must be done....got bills to pay, and so many folks out there give themselves away for free, because it's just something fun for them...not something they are trying to make a living at.

I will continue to learn, and practice, and hone my posing, and styling and angles...and yes, you will still see me....but circumstances being what they are...a girl has gotta eat, and pay bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment