Sunday, February 9, 2014

Make up and skin care for SENSITIVE skin ( or those who don't want all the chemicals)

                                                       Photo by: Mccarrel Photography
                                                     

I have naturally red hair, and like many of my red headed  brethren, I also have sensitive skin. I have also, over the years have developed a host of other food ,environmental and chemical sensitivities.  It does make it a little difficult to work as a model...where wearing makeup and using multiple hair products is part of the the life.

So what to do?

I am just really careful about what make up goes on my skin. ( and have been known to bring my own kit when a makeup artist is being used)   I will share some of my favorites...as not only have they worked for my sensitive skin, most of them are free from most of the harmful, sometimes carcinogenic chemicals that are part of many "conventional" brands ....( and yes many,many, many of the common brands are not good for you AT ALL...and what is the largest organ of your body? YOUR SKIN! If it is dangerous to put IN your body...don't put it ON your body, because you will absorb it, and it ends up on the inside eventually)

So.. Lets start at the beginning.
For cleansing, toning, firming creams, dermal fillers, moisturizer, enzyme masks ( as well as shampoo and conditioner) I ADORE Andalou Naturals    ! ( I, of course, use their "Age Defying" line, they also have a brightening a clarifying and a sensitive line...all really great stuff)  I either order it online or can easily pick it up at my local health food store. I can honestly say that in the 6 or so months I have been using it, I have seen a VISIBLE difference in my skin. It is smoother, tighter and has more even color. ( One thing to remember is any new skin care regimen....give it some time...give the cells time to replenish themselves before judging on weather or not it is working or not working for you.)  
For regular body lotion I love Kate's Magic.  Everything smells WONDERFUL and again, all natural, with natural scents from essential oils.  Unfortunately I have only found it online or in catalogs, but the quality and the scents can't be beat. ( I am rather fond of the "Fire" and "Earth" body lotions as well as the "Aphrodesian Fire" Body oil...just yummy...and I typically get a lot of " you smell good" (from both men and women!)
Tinted moisturizer/ sunscreen ( for every day wear) foundation,powder ,  blush, bronzer and mascara, ( and some eye liner)  I actually Like Physicians Formula "Organic Wear" The coverage is good,the colors are good and it is reasonably priced at the local drug store.  It certainly makes it easy!
Eyeliner, lipsticks and nail polish I use Mineral Fusion.  It is easy enough to get both on line and at my local health food store ( near me, that would be Fruitful Yield) They also have a full line of lotions, cleansers, shampoos and the like, I just have not tried them...though they certainly would be worth a try. My other favorite Nail Polish brand is Zoya...also free from the three really bad chemicals ( one of which used to make me break out wherever my nails would touch my face... before I found the nail polish that was safe for me,I had not done my nails in probably 10 years) Zoya has a huge color selection and I order it on line...and  they frequently have sales and such. The coverage is good, as well as the durability...and their velvet line is WAY awesome!
Eye shadows- I REALLY like SHANY, and their loose mineral collections...I have not tried any of their other things ( and honestly haven't checked ingredients) But their color selection is HUGE. ( they are loose,so a little harder to work with, but so worth it)
Some other brands for eyshadow,lip stain and the like I  actually get from  small, Etsy shops, and have wonderful colors, quality and are super nice to work with. Most of them are organic, as well as vegan, and reasonably priced. Pink Quartz Minerals, Willow Tree Minerals , Tater Rounds Beauty, SoBe Botanicals, and D&E Handmade  .

For Christmas, I got a makeup airbrush kit, and found some mineral airbrush makeup online.  As I experiment and try out this new way of doing things I will let you all know.

All of this is not ONLY for you if you have sensitive skin...these are good for EVERYBODY.  Everyone could use less chemicals slathered on their skin, everyone can benefit from these natural, organic, less harmful makeups and skin care regimens.  Be gentle to yourself, be gentle to the earth.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment