Friday, March 21, 2014

Commercial VS Art Modeling

Photo by: Cadence Gamache ( Now Mccarrell Photography) 
                           
Photo by: Michael Barton Art


 I ,personally want to experience and try my hand at as many different aspects of modeling as I can.  One difference that many new models don't seem to get is the difference between ART modeling and COMMERCIAL modeling.  These two pictures are a good example.

Now that is not to say that commercial modeling cannot be artistic, or art modeling can't be commercial- that couldn't be further from the truth . But on the whole there are things that go into different categories,  that are styled differently,and done differently. Be aware.
One key is  lighting, as you can see is very different, the finishing is very different.  The general purpose,of course is very different.

Obviously Art Modeling is all about the image, and can be moody, and heavy on shadow ( or not,it is of course ART after all)  It can be simple, or not, depending upon the artist. It can be heavily phtoshopped, or not at all,depending on the image, the model sometimes,unrecognizable as the model, or sometimes even as a human figure.

Commercial modeling is to showcase either clothing, or the model themselves.  The shadows tend not to be as deep, the skin is flawless, the background may or may not be more simple, however.  It is the kind of photography you typically see on billboards, in magazines, in model portfolios.  It is retouched,cleanly, and again the focus is on the model.

I enjoy doing both.( though to be honest, I probably enjoy art modeling a touch more.... but I think that is indeed the artist in me, and I know I enjoy making darker images more)   I enjoy looking at both...but KNOW what your photographer does best, and know what type of image you need for submissions or portfolio or whatever you are planning to use your image for.  Educate yourself about what you need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment