Sunday, March 9, 2014

Preparation

Tomorrow, I have a shoot with Michael Barton,who is teaching one of his "Noir" workshops....What is Noir photography you may ask?
Well, it is dark,it is moody ...it can be retro ( think Bogey and Bacall) or it can veer off into boudoir/ lingerie. It isn't just one thing, it can encompass quite a bit...it is shadows and angles and attitude with poise.
Some examples from the last one Michael had me work .
                            Photo by Michael Barton


                             Photo by: Michael Barton



                             Photo by: Randall Bullen


There is a moodyness about it ( and yes, one CAN show ones face, these just happen to be some of my favorites...and they happen to not)

Now a workshop /class is a different type of animal in itself...typically 4-10 photographers,and of course the teacher does stop and explain,or point out or give tips...so the flow is a start and stop , not seamless, like the best shoots ( I think) are.  I also will hold a pose for longer,to give everyone a chance to get a shot who wants it...that way the students have a chance to move around and get out of each others way.  I always learn both about photography and what the  different photographers styles are.  Some will ask for a tweak for a pose, some are quiet, some will get in real close, some hang back.  Some react when they are happy with a shot, some are very deadpan, and you only know that they got a great shot, when they send it to you. Some will also keep in contact with you, leading to future shots...some you never hear from again.

Like anything else,soak it up...all the information,all the experiences you can...and have fun with it.

I usually pull 3 or so outfits for a shoot...but I am having trouble deciding today...I have 9 or 10 now....we will NOT use them all, but it does give a large amount to choose from!  I also have to play with my makeup airbrush today, to see if I can use it tomorrow....it might save time, and give a smoother foundation....we will see ( I also just got some stencils to play with....so I will be experimenting today! )  

No comments:

Post a Comment